Every piece of fitness advice I could come up with after 15 years in the gym:
1. The biggest person in the gym is doing more than 99% of humanity, they deserve our respect.
2. Cut down on alcohol.
3. A shitty day won't set you back, but letting it turn into 2 will.
4. Stop comparing yourself to other people. It's you vs you.
5. 95% of the calories you burn every day are outside of the gym.
6. Weights > Cardio for fat loss.
7. Track your steps, food, weights, and body weight to stay objective and keep you going.
8. Lifting weights & eating protein maximizes the amount of weight loss from fat.
9. Lack of sleep increases food cravings.
10. Cardio isn't necessary for fat loss but is great for your brain and heart.
11. Faster weight loss leads to muscle loss and a higher likelihood of gaining it back.
12. Protein is the real superfood.
13. Consume 1-2 palm-sized servings of protein at every meal, leading to 1 gram per lb of body weight per day.
14. Shakes are a great, complete protein source. But, if you're struggling with hunger, aim for more lean meats to keep you full.
15. Walking more is the most sustainable, low-stress way to burn more calories
16. Anything can work - you need to stick to it. Find what you enjoy.
17. Slow down, chew 20-30x per bite, and remove distractions while eating.
18. Processed foods aren't poisonous, they're easy to over-consume and lack nutrients.
19. Just because something worked for you, doesn't mean it's the only way. Beware of your tribal nature.
20. Eat 80% whole foods and 20% foods you enjoy.
21. Total intake is 100x more important than what time you eat.
22. Fasting is a great strategy to eat fewer calories, and some find it beneficial for focus and energy.
23. You don't have to count calories to lose weight, but it's the most precise way.
24. Counting calories is a great way to learn intuitive eating. It teaches you why some foods are a bad idea.
25. If you tell yourself you can't have something, you'll want it even more.
26. Eat your protein and vegetables first to fill up and eat less.
27. Vegetable intake is essential for optimal health and keeps you from eating too much.
28. If you can't do your diet for the rest of your life, you shouldn't be doing it at all.
29. If it's around the house, you'll eventually eat it. It's easier to say no 1 time at the store than 10 times per day at home.
30. A multivitamin is a great insurance policy for micro-nutrients but isn't an excuse to eat like shit.
31. Cleanses and detoxes are a scam - that's what your liver is for.
32. Lifting 2-3x per week is effective for muscle gain.
33. Anything in the 6-25 rep range is effective for muscle growth as long as you're getting close to failure.
34. Focus on getting close to failure on every set.
35. Add more weight, reps, or sets every week to progress.
36. Pick exercises and progress them for 4-6 weeks before switching.
37. You don't need to squat or deadlift to build muscle, but if you enjoy it then do it.
38. Your exercise shouldn't change much during cutting and bulking cycles. The changes come from nutrition.
39. You can't spot-burn body fat.
40. No matter your "body type", you're going to want to add muscle & lose fat to look better. Don't get tied up in marketing gimmicks.
41. Burning fat vs. carbs for fuel has nothing to do with losing body fat. You need a caloric deficit to lose body fat, regardless of your energy source for training.
42. Control for calories and protein. Fill the rest with carbs and fats as you prefer to maximize adherence.
43. You have the time - you don't prioritize it.
44. Dumbbells and a bench at home are more than enough for a complete body transformation.
45. The only way to lose weight is a caloric deficit, but there are many ways to get there.
46. The best way to get a 6-pack is to lose fat, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't train abs. 1-2x per week is enough - progress them like any other muscle.
47. Creatine is safe, effective, and beneficial whether you're cutting, bulking, or maintaining.
48. Fall in love with the process and you'll get results for life.
49. Prioritizing sleep is the best natural performance enhancer there is.
50. You're not fat because of low testosterone, you have low testosterone because you're fat.
51. Track progress outside the scale. Pictures, belt size, how your clothes fit, and gym performance can all indicate progress without weight change.
52. You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time if you're new to this journey. Once this fades, you'll need to dedicate phases to muscle gain or fat loss.
53. If you don't feel like working out, commit to 5 minutes. You'll always end up staying.
54. Busy times are the best to start your journey - they'll always be around and you need to navigate them forever.
55. A fit, healthy body is the only thing you can't buy in this life. Get to work.
56. The fittest people in the gym are your biggest supporters - don't get intimidated.
57. Stop getting down on yourself if you mess up. Get right back at it tomorrow.
Above all - GET STARTED.
Compare yourself to last month's you.
The only way you won't get there is if you quit.
I'm looking for 3 busy professionals that want to lose 20 lbs in the next 12 weeks.
If that's you, DM me 'LEAN' for more info.