1. High Court has allowed an application by EACC to freeze Kes. 216,374,181.94 unexplained assets belonging to Peter Maina Njehia, Senior Manager, Supply Chain, at KETRACO pending the hearing of a recovery suit. EACC seeks to have him compelled to forfeit the assets to the State.
2. During the period he was reasonably suspected of engaging in corruption, he acquired assets worth Kes. 278,049,625.39 against his known legitimate income totalling Kes. 40,242,855.99. In this period, he received funds from institutions that had secured tenders with KETRACO.
3. The assets include landed properties- Kes.88,910,000, Vehicles – Kes.21,600,000, Bank deposits- Kes.76,407,232, M-pesa Bal- Kes. 15,069,420, Cash recovered from his car – Kes.1,020,000, Investment in SACCOS- Kes.73,857,581, FEP Holdings- Kes.1,014,000, Shares - Kes. 171,391.
4. Upon notice to explain his wealth, Njehia satisfactorily explained assets worth Kes. 21,432,587.46 leaving out an unexplained disproportion of Kes. 216,374,181.94. This prompted the recovery suit after he defied a demand to remit the property to EACC for return to the public.
5. Njehia's case is among numerous recovery suits at various stages in courts across the country to recover unexplained wealth held by public officials.